Sunday, May 15, 2016

Fabric coiled bowls and baskets galore

Remember Macramé?  Used to do a ton of it back in the 70's along with lots of other hand crafts like tye dying, embroidery on my bell bottom pants, jewelry making  and wood carving.   One craft I have rediscovered recently is creating baskets and bowls using fabric coiled around clothesline.  It's a great way to use up some scraps and the extra binding pieces that I always seem to cut.  

This project doesn't require a ton of new and expensive supplies either.  Most of us have plenty of fabric on hand to make several bowls, baskets, trivets, place mats or what ever.  I watched a YouTube tutorial and made these bowls. The only thing I purchased was 50 feet of clothesline about 1/4 in in diameter.

Once the cord is wrapped just stitch it using a zig zag.  The tutorials will show you how to start the sewing which is the only tricky part of the project.


I used two different fabrics, with similar colors, for the bowls pictured above and below.  Each fabric had a really different pattern yet when coiled the two look almost identical in color.



For the next bowl I will create the embellishment using coiled and covered clothesline with some baubles.  I'm not too happy with the little flowers but they are firmly glued on so I'll live with them!



Projects like this are a nice change from piecing and quilting in general.  I like the three dimensional result and wrapping the clothesline is a good evening activity while I'm sitting in front of the TV with my hubby pretending to enjoy the history channel.

Have you made anything using fabric wrapped clothesline? 

Keep creating.... 

Linking up with Nina Marie today.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I love them--especially how you did the handles. As a lays, I'm so impressed at how you dive in, try something new, and then make it your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure do remember macrame, I made lots of plant holders and belts back in the 70s. I can still remember the smell of the jute I used for some pretty funky projects. And I bought some cotton clothesline about 2 years ago to make a bag, but moved from NC to NY and have no idea where it is now, it's in a bin somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, cool post. I'd like to write like this too - taking time and real hard work to make a great article... but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. And also found Dell Reward

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m Really Impressed With Your Article, Such Great & Usefull Knowledge You Mentioned Here free robux generator

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredible post! I am really getting prepared to over this data, is exceptionally useful my companion.
    Likewise extraordinary blog here with the majority of the significant data you have.
    I am sharing related topic which is most important on
    free Robux Generator

    ReplyDelete