Friday, June 17, 2016

Carving, Stamping, Sewing Oh My!

I just spent four very exciting days at Bishop's Ranch in Healdsburg, CA. with Jane LaFazio.  The Garden Patch: Mixed Media Art Quilt workshop was interesting from start to finish. I haven't done too much of this type mixed media or "free form" quilting so I found myself a bit out of my normal comfort zone.  Being outside the safe zone can be so much fun when I can simply embrace it and trust the process!
                                                                       
First we wandered around the Ranch property in search of inspiration in the forests, gardens and fields.  Then we did some very quick sketches to use in the design.
Based on our sketches we carved stamps and began the process of designing our small 12 x 12 quilt.  
Stamps from our group.
My oak leaf stamped on a tea bag.






The scary part of this process is that once we had a rough design tacked down in a pleasing pattern we turned it over and without looking cut it into squares.  Did I mention we didn’t look at the front of the quilt while cutt?  After we had 9 squares cut we turned them over and put them together in different ways.  This part was really interesting to do.

                     
Cut up into squares.
Once settled on a design, the next step was to attach the rows to the felt backing and embellish with beads, baubles, lace, and lots of interesting stitches.  I thought this part might be tedious since I don't do hand work normally.  Turns out this stage was very pleasant.  We sat around talking and laughing and sewing.


So my project went from this pile of possible elements........


To this finished small art quilt!



This is my band of art quilters and what a creative group they are!! Our fearless teacher is front and center of course.  Thanks to each of you for your encouragement and inspiration!

Keep creating and generating ideas!

Check out what is happening on Off The Wall Friday.

4 comments:

  1. I am making a walk through blogs ... and came across yours. It is a lovely artquilt which came out with your very admired (by me) teacher. Isn't that a wonderful idea! Although cutting into squares of a quilt - difficult, difficult. so it is better not to see "where"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how your quilt came out, stepping out of your comfort zone had a very positive result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES, having an open mind to new ways and materials surely made a wonderful day for you! Your piece is enchanting to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an inspiring piece! Unique and colorful.

    ReplyDelete