Friday, May 6, 2016

Solvy and Thread-A good match!

I love to try new things most days, well not involving math, but most other creative and artsy things.  I took a Craftsy class and learned about this product Solvy.  Comes in various sizes and weights and is very useful stabilizing applique among other things.

I have been having fun making thread leaves and other nature shapes using just thread and Solvy.  I enjoy doing the thread work, which takes much longer than I expect it to take, and then placing my piece in the warm water.  Once the Solvy dissolves you are left with a lovely and delicate element that sometimes looks like lace.

Here is quick sketch on the Solvy.  This medium weight feels a bit more like paper and is much easier to draw on.


Here is what my butterfly looks like in process.  I still have quite a bit more free motion to do before it can take a water bath.


Here is an example of a leaf.  I've done a few of these and they were the most fun.  Using variegated thread really adds to the interest of the leaves.  I've made butterflies, leaves and lots and lots of circles that might end up as flowers in the the future.


I'm in an experimentation mood lately and wanting to try some different techniques.  At this moment I'm not sure how these elements will be used but I sure the inspiration will come at some point.  In June I will attending a mixed media art retreat with Jane LaFazio at Bishop's Ranch in Healdsburg, Ca. and maybe I'll end up using the leaves on my quilt there.

If you have never been to Bishop's Ranch it is a very special place in a beautiful rural setting in Northern California.  I attend several quilting retreats there each year.  It's a wonderful place to create art, meditate, walk or contemplate life.

How would you use these lacy leaves?  Let me know your experience with Solvy if you feel inspired to.


See you later and keep creating......


I'm linking to Nina Marie this week.

10 comments:

  1. Very nice. Love th girl with the pearl earring, too. you are really good at this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I took a class on Craftsy with Lola Jenkins for the girl with pearl earring. Lola is a wonderful teacher! I'm headed to peek at your blog now. Keep creating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took an online class in March with Fiber on a Whim that focused mostly on dissolvable stabilizers like you used here. I found the whole process very tedious (boring) but did like some of the finished pieces. What weight of thread did you use for the leaves? With FM quilting I use fine threads, don't have too much besides 50-60 wt on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I completely agree that the thread stitching is tedious and boring and takes so much longer than I ever think it will. What hooked me was the outcome. I have been experimenting with larger pieces using coral from the sea as a guide. Ugh, mixed results and tedious but I’m not giving up on that just yet. I imagine the larger piece to be lacier and more interesting than the leaf :) I used thin rayon or poly thread, whatever I have on hand really. Thicker thread goes faster but breaks more often.

      Thanks for the feedback.

      Paula

      Delete
    2. I just got a couching foot for my sitdown mid arm, I'm going to try some thread sketching on dissolvable stuff using yarn to see if it's faster!

      Delete
  4. I'm so happy you're coming to my workshop!! Looking forward to meeting you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, that butterfly looks great. Your thread stitched pieces are amazing. Brilliant idea to think about incorporating them with the Jane class!

    ReplyDelete