Sunday, May 1, 2016

I Can Or I Can't Quilt This!


I think that Henry Ford is the guy who said, " If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are probably right!" If we skip over our family histories and influences in life and just take this idea literally isn't it really just a choice?  Try or not try?  I think there is success in simply creating, regardless of the result.    How we think about an art project and where we put our focus has a huge influence on the outcome.  I say look towards success what ever that means to you.  If you don't like the result do it a different way.  Just keep looking forward.

                              

I wish I could say that I try something that scares me every day or that I embrace challenges easily.  I don't and I sometimes talk myself out of trying before I have even gotten out my supplies.  The good news is, I'm focusing now on being more daring in my artistic journey.  Truthfully, we all start with a blank space and by our imagination and our hands we create something that was not there before.  Isn't that awesome?

Here are a couple of examples where I took a chance and just tried something totally new to me.  I took a Craftsy class from Lola Jenkins because I liked the title of the class- Thread Art.  This is my class project following Lola's directions.  The pebbles were my idea :)

The Girl With The Pearl Earring

I really wanted to try another art quilt and do something original.  This is my granddaughter when she was about a year old.  This first effort was an epic fail on a few levels!  I tried to cover up the mistakes but couldn't fix those eyes! 

Opps!
So I started from scratch again and had a better go of it to be sure! The colored circles were made with old thread and the water soluble Solvy.











I thought I would share my feelings about self confidence with you because I am fairly sure I'm not the only person who has grappled with this.  Let's encourage each other to be brave and create whenever and where ever we can!

I'd love to hear your story too.  Keep creating....

I'm linking back to Nina Marie!

3 comments:

  1. Your thoughts on creativity and very wise and very timely! It is so true that creativity is enhanced by healthy self-esteem. And, we love your representation of "Girl With a Pearl Erring !" What a beautiful project, and the pebbles quilting looks fabulous.
    Best wishes, from Marina and Daryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula, I saw your "skeletal leaf" in Nina-Marie's link-up, but it was this portrait of your granddaughter that really stroke a chord with me, both artistically (I love your choice of color and bold shapes) and humanly (reminded me of my girls when they were that age, so sweet). Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lena. I don't know who took the photo of Alana but it was just right to turn into this quilt. I feel very sentimental when I look at it now. I appreciate your taking time to give me some feedback. Keep creating!

      Delete