Friday, April 29, 2016

It starts with a line...........

I've been doodling with Micron pens forever. It's relaxing to take a blank page or piece of fabric and start with one line, no rhyme nor reason. Just wander along and pretty soon something shows up.

The lines begin to work together, communicating and coordinating until they have come together into something that was never there before. I just love that! Every drawing is a surprise. Occasionally I attempt to doodle with a specific purpose but the free form is most interesting to me.

I’ve been experimenting with s style of drawing and free motion quilting called Graffiti. I saw a video of Karlee Porter that really inspired me. Here are a couple of my examples of pen on paper.

                                     

                                   

Recently I participated in a  quilt challenge with the theme WORDS. This is what my WORD quilt looked like. I really had fun quilting this and it flowed in much the same way that the lines on paper flowed, this was just with thread. I think I’m going to keep exploring graffiti and thread for awhile.

                                    

OK now I will admit that I struggled emotionally to create this little quilt since it was outside of my experience.  Lots of self-defeating thoughts followed me around but I persisted and sent those negatives away.  You know, "I don't think I can do this!  This is dumb! Everyone else will have a masterpiece!"  I don't think I am alone in this thinking either.    Maybe I'll talk more in the future about the idea of "I Can or I Can't -One of those is probably true!"

Keep creating....

Check out this blog for some great ideas!  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. We are all our own worst critics, aren't we? I see so many people who won't even try something because they think they will fail. My quilting/dyeing/painting experiments have had so many failures but they've taught me that you can always fix them, or toss them out and start over without any regrets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree totally!! Some of my worst failures have produced the most interesting results. Sometimes it's hard to keep that in mind in the moment, chuckle.

      Delete