Thursday, April 28, 2016

Quilting heaven!

I’m just back home from a wonderful four day quilting retreat with 40 creative quilters!  It’s such an inspiring few days.  The first day we were asked to raise our hand if we were quilting less than five years.  My hand was the only one that went up!  Every one else in the room has been quilting for 20 years plus.  That is a lot of hefty experience in the room to be sure.

Friends enjoying retreat!

 I’ve been going to quilting retreat for 3 ½ years, as long as I have been quilting. This group of quilters is creative, funny and very helpful. I learn new tips and techniques every time I am there. The best part of the experience is forging new friendships. I really treasure the experience and am already planning my challenge quilt for next April!



Microwave Bowl Carrier - I learned how to make these at the retreat and here’s how you can make some too.

1. Choose two fabrics you like. No overthinking this, almost anything works.

2. Cut two 12-inch squares of fabric.

                                          

3.  Cut two 12-inch squares of 100% cotton batting.   
4.  Fold a square in batting side out.  Measure 2.5 inches and pin on each side along fold.

                                               

5. Sew a dart on each side.  Then fold the square in half the other way and sew two darts.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 on the second square.

                                                 
7.  Pin your two squares right sides together, nesting the darts.  Leave a gap of about three inches on one side to pull your fabric through.

8. Pull your right side out and iron.  Be sure to iron the opening so you can sew it closed when you do the top stitching.
                                                   

9. Sew all the way around your bowl twice about ¼ inch apart.  Easy!
Two examples of my bowls using scrap fabric.
                                   

These are fairly easy to make and I figure it's not too early to build up a stash for the holiday season.  I am actually using mine for warming up bowls of soup in the microwave.

Let me know if you make any and how you use them.  I would love your feedback and any ideas you may want to share.

Keep creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment